If you are a Hoffman Estates resident and you don’t get your tree out to the curb on pickup day, you have an option. You are welcome to drop it off at no charge anytime between Sunday, December 26 and Friday, January 8.
Drop-offs may be made at the Public Works building at 2405 Pembroke Ave. or next to Fire Station 23 at 1300 Westbury Drive. Signs will direct residents to drop-off areas at both locations.
If you bring your own container, you are also welcome to get free wood chips on a first-come, first-serve basis.
For more info, contact Public Works at 847-490-6800.
Filed under: Holiday Tips
- Instead of a big dinner, have a potluck. Or, prepare a big pot of soup, salad, bread and a simple dessert. Around the holidays people will appreciate both the meal they don’t have to prepare and the lack of excess calories.
- Serve as much local food and drinks as possible. Use a local brewery or winery and get the word out.
- Instead of sending a paper invitation, use www.evite.com and do it all online. If you do send paper invitations, do it with a postcard only and lose the envelope.
- Skip the cut flowers and decorate with potted poinsettias, evergreen boughs, pine cones and ornaments.
- Instead of buying throwaway dinnerware, get out the china, extra glasses and cloth napkins. Sure, cleanup isn’t quite as easy but think how much less trash you’re going to produce. Besides, when is the last time you raided your china cabinet and linen closet for a party anyway?
- Dim the lights and get out those candles that are hiding behind closed doors. It will set a nice mood.
- Get your recycling bins ready for the bottles and cans that will surely be generated by the celebrating.
- Set a good example for your guests with your green adaptations and get them thinking!